Search This Blog

Thursday 28 July 2011

Fairydrops Scandal Queen Mascara Review

I was super excited when I heard about the Fairydrops mascara at Sephora (CDN$28).  The girl said that it was very popular and sells like hot cakes!  She also said it's similar to Fiberwig Mascara (another popular Japanese mascara).  It came in a shiny cute package!
 

It has "5 Kinds of Treatment Essences" (squalene, jojoba seed oil, pathenol, hydrolyzed collagen, sodium hyaluronate - most ingredients used in cell rebuilding and maintenance) and an "Eyelash Curler Function".  It also claims that it is water-resistant, won't smudge, and is easily removed with warm water.

Pretty standard size at 7.2ml (0.28 fl. oz).

The mascara wand was slightly curved with three fatter ball shape fibres to help catch all the lashes.  This is a very similar brush shape to the Rimmel London Sexy Curves mascara wand (in which I loved the mascara wand because it separated clumps and grabbed a hold of ALL my lashes!!!...but HATED the mascara formula!).
The Fairydrops Tokyo mascara was very similar to the Fiberwig mascara formula in that it had little fiber strands mixed into the mascara formula (can you see the little fibers??).  The fibers help lengthen and adds volume to the lashes.  However, if you're not careful to comb through the lashes, one little awkwardly placed fibre can make the lashes look weird.
My lashes are stick straight, and they grow downwards.  They're also very thin and slightly sparse...making them look non-existent.
Curling them is an essential routine every morning!
 This is with one coat of the Fairydrops Scandal Queen mascara!
 
After a few seconds of examining the results - I really felt like I needed more!  Therefore, I put on another coat.  It kind of started getting somewhat clumpy and I could start seeing the fibers stick out.
After maybe 10 minutes or so...I noticed that it started getting droopy...It didn't keep the curl as nice as a regular waterproof mascara would (e.g. Covergirl Lashblast Waterproof Mascara or Maybelline Falsies Waterproof Mascara - still my fave).  It also flaked a teensy bit onto my cheek throughout the day.  Smudging was really minimal though.
Soooo disappointing for a $28 mascara that promised me the world...I decided to see how water resistant the mascara was.  I put a few drops on my fingers and lightly rubbed the mascara on my lashes.
Umm...it definitely does not come off like the Kissme Mascara like some people have told me.  It came off pretty smudgidly...if you know what I mean...with little clumps of the mascara.  I'm not sure how well this would fair on a rainy day.  Seriously, can someone tell me the point of a water-resistant mascara?  It's either waterproof or not waterproof.

Overall, I would not recommend this mascara to someone who has stick straight lashes like I do.  If you have naturally wonderful, curled lashes, this would be an appropriate mascara.  Also, if you are looking for a non-waterproof mascara...this also, would be an appropriate mascara.  Personally, I'm probably going to return it.  Even if I were to buy a separate one for my kit, I can't use this kind of formulation on brides anyways.

Hope this helped!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sad that it didn't work out for you!! It actually works pretty good on me!! And it does hold my curl wayy better than say dior blackout or guerlain mascara....i just love the minimal smudging under my eyes :)

    ReplyDelete